Saturday, October 18, 2008

Trial and Prayer

I just love figuring out how to take care of Eliana. Sometimes it's almost comical because, looking back on an event, it seems like I should have known the solution from the start, but these little ones don't come with full manuals (just a million books that say "You can try this, but it might not work..." :-) Every time we do something that actually works, it's a major accomplishment.

Last night was a great example.

Eliana typically starts to get fussy in the evenings around 7 p.m. (common for many babies, I hear.) I can tell that she is tired and needs to go to sleep, but she really fights it for a while. Last night, she was especially so. Nothing seemed to help, poor little thing. At about 8:30 p.m. I decided to go put her down in her bassinet to see what would happen. WONDER OF WONDERS: in about 20 seconds she was sound asleep and didn't wake up until her midnight feed. How about that? I was actually keeping her awake trying to put her to sleep in my arms! Wouldn't you think that if I knew she was tired, I would have tried to put her to bed before that? :-) Now, putting her down might not work every night, but I'm sure going to give it a try from now on!

It's a little scary that it seems like parenthood is a lot of trial and error (or I should say, "Trial and prayer!")

No comments: