Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Confession

Okay, if this blog is going to be a record of life at the Weaver Household, then it has to be accurate, right? So I have a confession...

About a month ago, I had a great idea for Ellie's first birthday present. I found out that Cabbage Patch Kids had released 25th Anniversary versions of their original dolls. Can you believe I had one of those originals? My mom tells me that for the Christmas CPKs were BIG, they ordered three dolls for me and received ONE just in time for the BIG day. :-) Cabbage the First ("Cabbage" is all I ever called her.), is still alive and well at Baba Helene's house , so when I learned of the new releases, I knew exactly what Ellie was getting for her birthday.

I poured over the cabbage patch for hours, flipping back and forth between adoption photos until I had made the very difficult decision of who would be joining our family. I placed our "order" and eagerly awaited her arrival. Finally, two weeks ago, she came. I could barely contain myself! Okay, here's the confession. I didn't contain myself. I looked at Joe and said, "I can't wait. Can we please wrap her up and give her to Ellie now?" Yes, it's the truth. One month BEFORE her birthday, Ellie got her present from us. But she was SO CUTE! Take a look at that photo! Even before she was removed from her box, Leatrice Marigold (Cabbage, as she is known) was loved. I have another photo of Ellie kissing her through the plastic. :-) Ellie gives her kisses and hugs and sleeps with her at night, and I couldn't be happier. Happy Birthday!

To keep our record accurate, I would be remiss not to mention that we spent Labor day morning (September 7) at the emergency room. Ellie woke up with a temperature of 104.3. I called our pediatrician who told us to take her in. She didn't have any other symptoms, and he wanted to check for a UTI. It was negative as was the chest x-ray, which, by the way, is absolutely TORTURE for an infant and her mother. We were told to give her Tylenol and Motrin to keep the fever down, be sure she had lots of fluids and bring her back if other symptoms developed. After about 36 hours she seemed fine. Who knows? Some kind of virus...

The only issue her illness has caused is a disruption of the beautiful sleep patterns we had finally developed. Gratefully, Ellie still goes to sleep easily, but since she was up several times for meds and nursing during those nights, she expects the Royal Treatment now during the wee hours. Tonight is the first night back to the routine of not getting her up out of the crib upon waking. She's not liking it. This post is being written between 11:30 p.m. and midnight as Ellie is crying. I've been going in every five minutes to reassure her, but not getting her up.... Ahhhh, she's asleep again. We went for about 20 minutes of real screaming. The last time I went in to hug her and put her back down, she whimpered and turned over, consigned to the fact that she wasn't going to get what she wanted. So it's a quick spell check for me and back to bed!


No comments: